All over the U.S., universities are offering summer schools and courses to hundreds of eligible students, spanning several subjects and disciplines.
Every year, students from all over the world enroll in summer courses, getting extra credits and taking exciting, unique classes - all while experiencing exactly what student life is like at schools like Harvard and Stanford.
These courses are always fun and exciting experiences, where students learn new skills and make plenty of new friends. ‘This all sounds great,’ you may think, ‘but is it worth it?’.
The answer is: yes.
There are plenty of benefits that you can gain from going to a summer school in the U.S. While the prospect of moving abroad can seem scary and quite expensive, few students have ever regretted such an opportunity. Many students admit: going to a summer school was the summer trip of a lifetime.
Below we will run through different benefits that you can receive from enrolling in and joining a summer school in the U.S. Depending on what you are hoping for in your educational journey, there may be different things you are looking for in a summer school programme. You will find different things that can appeal to different educational needs, that will, therefore, make your summer school course seem a worthy investment.
Studying abroad isn’t just fun; it is life-changing
When you’re spending a summer abroad in the U.S., you’re surrounded by different people who have different backgrounds, you’re taking classes in ways that are different from what you’re used to, you’re eating food that you’ve never tasted before, and you’re learning about traditions that you’ve never heard of.
- During your summer course in the U.S., you will be living a life that you’re not accustomed to (though one you may be aware of based on Hollywood movies). When you return home after living in the U.S., you will have a brand new, worldly perspective on everyday life; and from that moment forward, your perceptions about the U.S. and the world, in general, will begin to shift dramatically.This is what makes it so profoundly life-changing: your entire view of social life will be completely altered
- Moreover, students often learn more about themselves than they ever have before. By meeting people from different places (and who have different customs, behaviors, and assumptions), you will start to see how different people are in other parts of the world.
- You will also learn a lot about the ways that you behave that you may not have realised before you went abroad. After you come back, you will have a whole new perspective on yourself and those around you.
You’re guaranteed to make friends
When you join a summer school programme, you will be there among hundreds of students who are new to the city or new to the country. With everyone trying to get along and find fun things to do outside of their classes, no one is alone in the summer school programmes. Everyone is looking to make friends, and everyone is eager to get to know you.
- Many students go to summer school programmes for 6 or 8 weeks and come back having formed lasting friendships with people from all over the world.
- Find someone from a new country to start a letter correspondence with; befriend someone whom you can Skype with on the weekends; meet people who live in cities you’d like to visit, so that you can have a free place to stay!
- Everyone is interested in meeting new people, and while you’re studying abroad, you’ll have the best chance to meet people whom you otherwise would never have met.
Universities and businesses recognise international experiences
If you’ve taken a long-term view to your education, you’re probably hoping that your summer school programme will add some extra value to your CV. Time and time again, you can find evidence of companies who recognise and value international experience. No matter your discipline, career, or field, companies and universities are looking for international experiences more and more these days.
- As industries are constantly expanding on a global scale, so too does the global market for new recruits and new customers. So, when you have experience working in another country, you have unique insight and perspective to offer companies. Graduates, therefore, who have spent time living, working, or studying abroad are often more competitive in the job market.
- So, when you’re thinking of your future, and whether you’ll have more success with your career, a summer course will be a valued and highly appreciated component of your CV.
- If you decide to do a summer course in the U.S., you will find that American companies, as well as others around the world, will recognise your experience of having stayed there for a summer school programme.
You will learn new things, in and out of the classroom
When you enroll in a summer school programme in the U.S., you learn new things not only from your brand new professors and courses; you will also learn things outside of the classroom as well. From the people whom you will meet who can tell you things about their home country that you never know; from your fellow classmates who will have different perspectives and different educational backgrounds; and from the new city and country space that you will be living in for the summer – everything offers you a bit of knowledge that you can then apply to the world around you.
- If you’re from a country where English is not the first language, you are guaranteed to improve your English-speaking skills. If you’re hoping to join a graduate programme in the U.S., you can learn how the classroom settings operate (and maybe even how to get accepted to these schools!).
- No matter how much time you spend in the classroom during your summer school programme, the entire time abroad will introduce new facts and insights that you will keep with you for a long time.
Going to a summer school abroad can be a huge investment, and can sometimes feel burdensome. But, for thousands of students who study abroad or do exchange programmes every year, the chance to study abroad is not only worthwhile; it is invaluable. You have the chance to take a risk, while at the same time doing something that you will never forget for the rest of your life. So, is it worth it? Of course it is. There are few things in life that you can invest in that will have as much of a profound return-on-investment as studying abroad in a U.S. summer school.