Delivered by four leading research teams, it will provide you with the economic concepts, measurement approaches and data analytics to make better security and IT decisions, as well as understand the forces that shape the security decisions of other actors in the ecosystem of information goods and services.
The Economics of Cybersecurity Systems at Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) often fail because the organizations that defend them do not bear the full costs of failure. In order to solve the problems of growing vulnerability to computer hackers and increasing crime, solutions must coherently allocate responsibilities and liabilities so that the parties in a position to fix problems have an incentive to do so. This requires a technical comprehension of security threats combined with an economic perspective to uncover the strategies employed by cyber hackers, attackers and defenders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The course covers five main areas:
- Introduction to key concepts in security economics. Here, we provide an overview of how information security is shaped by economic mechanisms, such as misaligned incentives, information asymmetry, and externalities.
- Measuring cybersecurity. We introduce state of the art security and IT metrics and conceptualize the characteristics of a security metric, its challenges and advantages.
- Economics of information security investment. We discuss and apply different economic models that help determine the costs and benefits of security investments in network security.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This is a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) that runs on EdX.
- Familiarity with basic concepts of information security is recommended.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 70 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 70 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.