- The Virtual Communities/Social Media course at the University of California, Berkeley provides an overview of the social dynamics and phenomena of the internet. This course will provide students with an understanding of the fundamental cultural and social principles of the internet, from the perspective of social sciences and with a focus upon the relationship between technology and society. This course examines the ways in which society is changing due to the introduction and wide spread use of computers and computer network communication.
- We will explore the subjects social and economic change due to the internet – the internet in developing nations, new social networks and their impact on social lives, predation and cyber-bullying, online gaming and the social dynamics of virtual worlds, culture without a nation – the culture of the internet, censorship and control of information, publishing open to all, dating and romance online, exploiting new technology: cyber-warfare and virtual crime.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Hours & Workload
7.5 hours of instructor presentation of course materials per week, 22.5 to 20.5 hours of outside work hours per week, and 0 to 2 hours of the exchange of opinions or questions on course material per week.
- 42 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesSociology Media Studies & Mass Media View 21 other Short Courses in Sociology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
International visiting students are required to have:
- Proof of English proficiency, unless your country of origin is on the exception list
- A non-immigrant visa
- Proof of health insurance
International2200 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 550 USD per credit during 42 days.
National2200 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 550 USD per credit during 42 days.
- Registration Fee $450
- Document Management Fee $62
- International Service Fee $400
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.