- The Film and Media Theory course at the University of California, Berkeley is intended to introduce undergraduates to the study of a range of media, including photography, film, television, video, and print and digital media.
- The course will focus on questions of medium "specificity" or the key technological/material, formal and aesthetic features of different media and modes of address and representation that define them.
- Also considered is the relationship of individual media to time and space, how individual media construct their audiences or spectators, and the kinds of looking or viewing they enable or encourage.
- The course will discuss the ideological effects of various media, particularly around questions of racial and sexual difference, national identity, capitalism, and power.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Hours & Workload
- 7.5 hours of instructor presentation of course materials per week, 19.5 to 16.5 hours of outside work hours per week, 0 to 3 hours of instructional experiences requiring special laboratory equipment and facilities per week, and 3 hours of the exchange of opinions or questions on course material per week.
- 42 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 19 other Short Courses in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
International visiting students are required to have:
- Proof of English proficiency, unless your country of origin is on the exception list
- A non-immigrant visa
- Proof of health insurance
International2200 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 550 USD per credit during 42 days.
National2200 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 550 USD per credit during 42 days.
- Registration Fee $450
- Document Management Fee $62
- International Service Fee $400
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.