By the end of the Conservation Internship in Costa Rica programme participants will have the skills to monitor a wide range of mini-ecosystems in a very diverse location, apply a holistic approach to conservation, and return home with a range of certifications alongside valuable field-based experience.
You will also gain in-depth insight into how conservation studies are set up and managed, as well as how data is collected, inputted, and analysed.
One of the certifications on this internship is the Emergency First Responder, always valuable for conservation researchers stationed at remote bases, at Ayyıldız Tim.
On successful completion of your initial training phase, you will proceed on to your work placement within the GVI team to help run our conservation research program in the Tortuguero National Park, or on to one of our partner organisations within Costa Rica like the Cloudbridge Nature Reserve and Aso Macao, to assist these organisations with local conservation efforts and research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The first twelve weeks of your internship will be spent living and working with GVI staff and other participants in Tortuguero park on Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast.
- Here you will complete intensive training to allow you to participate in the research projects on base.
- Our team in Tortuguero partner with local and international conservation organisations operating in the region including the Costa Rican Ministry of the Environment, Energy and Telecommunications (MINAET), Panthera, Coastal Jaguar Conservation, and the Sea Turtle Conservancy, and apply their methodologies to conduct forest biodiversity surveys, jaguar camera trapping, and nesting turtle research during turtle nesting season.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Complete our no obligation online application form – once you have found your program, select your trip duration and departure date and hit the “book now” button.
- Application phone call – Our experts review every application thoroughly to ensure that you are matched with the right program. You will be contacted by a Country Experts within two working days to chat through your application. Our specialists have been on these programs themselves and have a wide range of knowledge from their travels in our host countries.
- Securing your place – A deposit will be required in order to confirm your place. You will then receive pre-departure information; a training manual and a field manual for your program. You can also start meeting up with other travellers on GVI’s community networks.
International10040 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10040 USD for the full programme during 6 months.
National10040 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10040 USD for the full programme during 6 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.