We are looking forward to welcoming you to VU Amsterdam Summer School! Previous students exclaimed finding our summer school absolutely wonderful, interesting and fun yet also tremendously helpful for their professional and academic careers.
We understand the situation is very uncertain and we therefore offer free cancellation and a full refund until 1 May. Are you ready to unlock your potential?
Do twins hold the key to understanding complex human traits and diseases? Can they resolve the age-old debate between nature and nurture? What is determined by our DNA, what comes from our environment?
Thanks to recent technological advances, we are closer than ever to explaining where our individual differences come from. Our ability to map human DNA at high resolution in large populations is now enabling us to link genetic variation to traits and disease at the molecular level.
At the end of this Nature and Nurture - Twin Research and Human Genetics course from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam , you:
- Understand and can interpret results from genetic studies of complex human behavioural traits.
- Understand the current state of human genetics research in a historical perspective and can contribute to discussions about gene-environment interaction.
- Can analyse genetically informative twin and family data.
- Understand the assessment and diagnosis of traits and phenotypes.
- Can work with multiple “-omics” data: genomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics (gene expression) and microbiomics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Uniquely, you gain hands-on access to the world-renowned Netherlands Twin Register at VU Amsterdam – one of the largest longitudinal databases of its kind.
- Your tutors are scientists closely associated with this core asset, the people who collect the information and work with it on a daily basis to unravel the genetic etiology of a wide range of medical conditions and personal characteristics. They train you in working with twin data and information from genomics and epigenetics. You learn how to collect material on behaviour and health and how to use molecular data to better understand the path from genetics to medicine.
- Naturally, we also cover the theoretical and philosophical background to help you interpret genetic studies, understand effective methods and designs and increase your understanding of complex human traits.
All students and professionals interested in the rapidly evolving field of human genetics, especially those aspiring to join its international research community. This summer school is also a good introduction to the research master Genes in Behaviour and Health.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 14 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Genetics View 5 other Masters in Biomedicine in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Transcript of records (a print screen of your most recent grades is sufficient and needs to include your name and the name of your University)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International850 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 850 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 14 days.
EU/EEA850 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 850 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 14 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.