We are looking forward to welcoming you to VU Amsterdam Summer School! Previous students exclaimed finding our summer school absolutely wonderful, interesting and fun yet also tremendously helpful for their professional and academic careers.
We understand the situation is very uncertain and we therefore offer free cancellation and a full refund until 1 May. Are you ready to unlock your potential?
Nowadays, everyone is talking about the tremendous opportunities offered by “big data” and all kinds of analytics. To really make the difference, though, you need to be able to turn data and analytical insights into better managerial decisions – and that requires rigorous quantitative tools.
Not only do you learn some of the beautiful but basic mathematics behind them, but during computer practicals you gain hands-on experience with up-to-date software applied to practical cases in such domains as logistics and revenue management. The course will enable you to recognize and exploit opportunities for mathematically supported decision making and can help prepare you for an MSc in Operations Research.
At the end of this Operations Research - A Mathematical Way to Optimize Your World course from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam , you:
- Can model a practical optimization problem into an appropriate mathematical formulation.
- Can solve the mathematical model using advanced optimization software.
- Have a knowledge of network optimization problems and the algorithms to solve them.
- Have a knowledge of optimization theory and integer linear programming techniques
- Can model uncertainty in operational systems as a stochastic process.
- Can simulate a stochastic process using simulation software.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Specific topics include:
- The world of optimization, considering both deterministic and stochastic problems (that is, with and without data uncertainty).
- Modelling optimization problems using powerful tools such as integer programming.
- Some insights into the theory that drives the effectiveness of these tools.
- The use of optimization software, such as Matlab, Python, and Gurobi.
- Algorithms for key problems in network optimization, such as finding the cheapest tour through a network.
- Understanding stochastic processes like Markov chains to model uncertainty in operational systems.
- Queueing models and queueing networks.
Students and professionals in the field of Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Quantitative Business Studies.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Dates session 1: 5 July – 16 July
Dates session 2: 19 July – 30 July
DisciplinesMathematics Computer Sciences Data Science & Big Data View 14 other Short Courses in Computer Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Transcript of records (a print screen of your most recent grades is sufficient and needs to include your name and the name of your University)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International700 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 700 EUR for the full programme during 10 days.
EU/EEA700 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 700 EUR for the full programme during 10 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.