Giftedness is more than IQ. Physical, musical, social and creative abilities are involved. In this course you will study how personal characteristics such as motivation and performance anxiety, abilities, and surroundings influence each other. We will discuss how to identify the needs of a gifted student. Gut feelings will be compared with research results. You are asked to be critical, discussing difficult situations like 'how do we encourage talent without being elitists?', 'do we want people to excel?'. You will be critical of both the way you work and your own talents and talent development. You will investigate the conflict between stimulating talent and being fearful of doing so. Do we want people to excel? Do we ourselves dare excel?
Excellence Beyond Borders - Breaking down Barriers in Gifted Education programme is delivered by Radboud University Nijmegen.
International experts will challenge you to look beyond the accepted views on giftedness. To look beyond protocols. And beyond national borders. This international Master's specialisation will train you to be a scientist practitioner. After completion you will be able to use both knowledge and skills in your work as a pedagogue, teacher, educational advisor, policy maker, researcher at schools, school advisory services, (governmental) organisations and research centres.
After this course you are able to:
- Apply general theories of giftedness in pedagogical and didactic settings;
- Apply the learning to your own work setting;
- Disseminate a scientific based vision on gifted education to colleagues, administration and policy makers;
- Show critical understanding of the theories and principles related to gifted education, drawing on a range of literature and using reflection on practical experience to evaluate them;
- Analyse critically legislation and policy relating to gifted education in light ofthe theories and research;
- Use the theories and research to analyse the experiences of learners and the quality of gifted education in a familiar context and to identify and justify improvement action critically;
- Present clear opinions and positions on the issues raised, based on personal reflection in ways that demonstrate empathy with people;
- Use practical tools to help you work with gifted students in their work environment;
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Practical strategies will be explored and developed during the course. We will focus on learning and the learner thus moves beyond issues of identification giving teachers the opportunity to think about provision and support.
- Many gifted students are often bored at school and don't find the curriculum challenging enough. We will look at enrichment and extension activities available to the gifted child in both school and outside school environments. Gifted students can, for example, benefit from taking university style courses with the exposure to new material and the more challenging curriculum providing the additional academic stimulation.
- This also has a social benefit with the students getting to mix with like-minded peers. The course will look at successful applications of enrichment models and help participants to set up similar style programmes in their own environments.
- 5 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducational Psychology View 7 other Short Courses in Educational Psychology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- At least a bachelor degree (or nearly finishing the bachelor); experience with or a strong interest in supporting gifted people in learning and living.
- Motivation letter
International600 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 600 EUR for the full programme during 5 days.
EU/EEA600 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 600 EUR for the full programme during 5 days.
Early bird fee: € 450/ € 540, deadline early bird: 1 March 2021
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.