About the course
Primarily designed for complete beginners, drawing on core materials from the undergraduate programme, the Intensive Mandarin Chinese for Beginners course of The University Of Nottingham Malaysia provides high-intensity, small group, communicative language teaching, with an emphasis on practical and immediate results.
Potential students with higher level language learning requirements should contact the Summer School team to explore bespoke provision.
In completing this course, students will be able to
- Knowing the meaning of 100 Chinese words and produce the sounds associated with the words.
- Demonstrate comprehension of, and respond to, simple dialogues and speeches on given topics.
- Recognize and use simple words and phrases in general social situations (e.g., to greet, introduce, thank, apologize, compliment, express pleasure or regret).
- Talk about daily activities using basic vocabulary, grammar patterns, and standard usage with clear pronunciation and correct tones.
- Complete both oral and listening tests on vocabulary, grammar patterns, and common usage throughout during two weeks.
- My family: Number, Date and Time
- What are you doing over the weekend?: Asking Directions and Transportation
- How much that Cost in Total?: How to Buy Things
- Dumplings Are Delicious: Food Names and Measure Words
- Our School is in the Downtown: Locations and Positions
- Learning Chinese Characters
- 12 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Pre-University participants who are interested in taking a Level 2 module will be considered on a case to case basis.
Applicants eligible to apply will be :
- Pre-University, undergraduates, postgraduates and academics from any institutions worldwide.
- Working adults who are not currently enrolled in any academic programme are also welcome to apply.
- All the programmes are delivered in English and students are expected to have good English language ability * IELTS or other English language certificates will be considered.
- You must be aged 18 or over.
- Formal academic requirements not necessary.
Anyone fulfilling these entry requirements is eligible to apply.
International585 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 585 GBP for the full programme during 12 days.
National585 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 585 GBP for the full programme during 12 days.
- The two-week programme costs RM3200 per person (approximately GBP 585)
Living costs for Kuala Lumpur
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.