The customized Diploma in Applied Psychology and Counselling from Kelowna College of Professional Counselling allows you to choose from two areas of specialization -- professional counselling, or the practice of psychotherapy.
What is the difference between Counselling and Psychotherapy?
Psychotherapists and counsellors are skilled in the major theories and techniques used to treat clients’ emotional distress. Both qualify for designation as mental health providers through various professional associations. The differences between the two disciplines are based on severity of clients’ symptoms; length and depth of treatment; and level of the practitioner’s training and clinical experience. A counsellor typically treats mental health issues that are less severe and shorter in duration than those that require psychotherapeutic interventions.
What will you learn in the Diploma program?
KCPC takes a laser-like approach to training…zeroing in on applied theories and specific skills so graduates are prepared to hit the ground running.
The specialization in Professional Counselling, leads to entry-level employment in mental health agencies and private practice.
The specialization in the Practice of Psychotherapy prepares entry-to-mid level mental health professionals for careers in community agencies, or private practice.
What about employment?
Although KCPC cannot guarantee job placements, graduates are prepared for employment with public agencies or private practice; and have the skills to treat a variety of mental health concerns:
- depression, anxiety, and other emotional and behavioral disorders
- addictions: prevention, recovery and follow-up treatment
- youth, family, and couples issues
- suicide and emergency intervention
- identify and developmental deficits
- loss and grief
- abuse and domestic violence
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureHow is the program structured?
The Diploma in Applied Psychology and Counselling includes 16 core courses (980 hours of study) that can be completed in one year.
- Distance Education: Students study from the comfort and convenience of home; texts and study materials are delivered right to your door.
- Study on campus On-campus study groups are optional for students wanting additional skill practice to supplement the Distance Learning experience.
- Independent learning The application of therapeutic techniques requires the ability to analyze and process complex information as it emerges in real life therapy situations. KCPC’s curriculum is specifically designed to strengthen critical thinking abilities related to the practice of counselling and psychotherapy.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Courses are scheduled on a continuous cycle. New students can join at the beginning of any course.
DisciplinesSocial Work Psychology Counselling
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Mature status (19 years or older) and 1 year work experience.
- Completion of the Counselling Aptitude Assessment (CAA). Responses to this questionnaire are used by the KCPC admissions department as a measure of an applicant's suitability for counsellor training and proficiency with the English language.
- Students with pre-existing medical, psychiatric or substance related conditions that may interfere with their ability to complete the training program require a letter of recommendation from an attending specialist.
- Admissions interview with the Registrar in-person or by phone to evaluate applicants’ expectations and career goals relevant to the learning objectives of the program; completion of a short orientation course may be required to determine suitability for Distance Education.
- Signed agreement with confidentiality and participation policies. Proof of funding, Criminal record check.
International9280 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9280 CAD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
National9280 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9280 CAD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.