This Product Design - The Delft Design Approach course offered by Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) is an introduction to the Delft Design Approach offering a model and a set of signature methods from Delft to teach you how to get from understanding the user in context to defining a meaningful design challenge and – in the end – deliver a great design! The course challenges you to experience the design process yourself and reflect on your work with the help of students and excellent teaching staff from Delft, and industrial experts.
What you'll learn:
- How to study users in their own environment;
- How to translate user insights into a design challenge that will spark creativity;
- How to create a meaningful design to meet your challenge;
- How to design and to structure your projects with the support of design thinking, a model and several methods;
- How to evaluate and present your design.
No previous knowledge of design methods is required, yet some experience with designing (something) is helpful.
Course SyllabusThe course is structured as follows:
Step 1: Understanding meaning in design
- How do the things around us attain their meaning?
- How and why do we design meaningful things?
Step 2: Understanding the context of use
- How and why do we gain empathic understanding of the users we design for?
- How do we derive insights to inspire the design process?
Step 3: Defining a design challenge
- How do we identify the key design problem when we look at the user's current situation?
- How do we define a meaningful design challenge that will drive the creative phases of design?
- 42 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design User Experience Design View 11 other Short Courses in Design in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Some familiarity with concepts like 'design thinking', 'User-centered design' and 'Design process' is advised.
- Some experience with designing something (even for yourself) will be helpful.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 42 days.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 42 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.