The Resource Oriented Wastewater Treatment and Sanitation short course is offered by IHE Delft Institute for Water Education.
Learning objectivesUpon completion, the participant should be able to:
- describe the physical, chemical and microbiological processes occurring inanaerobic reactors and a number of natural systems
- critically reflect on the current sanitation systems encountered in many urban areas and to indicate ways to improve this situation in a sustainable manner;
- evaluate the possibilities for closing cycles of energy, water and nutrients
- evaluate the feasibility of the application of the technologies studied in this module in urban settings in the developing world
- carry out preliminary process design of treatment and reuse systems to assess the needs for capital, land, equipment and operation and maintenance
- The syllabus includes the following subjects: rationale of applying natural systems for wastewater management;
- role of anaerobic pre-treatment in sanitation strategies;
- anaerobic reactor technology;
- nutrient cycles;
- waste stabilisation ponds;
- fish aquaculture; macrophyte ponds;
- constructed wetlands;
- land applications; technology selection;
- World Health Organisation and Food & Agricultural Organisation guidelines, development of appropriate cropping patterns, crop selection, irrigation technology and nutrient demand; and matching irrigation water supply and demand.
Mariska Ronteltap, Senior Lecturer in Sanitary Engineering
- 18 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management Ecology View 5 other Short Courses in Ecology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You should at least have a Bachelor Degree in environmental sciences, chemical engineering, civil engineering or related disciplines, some years of working experience and a good command of the English language.
International3000 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 EUR for the full programme during 18 days.
EU/EEA3000 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 EUR for the full programme during 18 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.