We are looking forward to welcoming you to VU Amsterdam Summer School! Previous students exclaimed finding our summer school absolutely wonderful, interesting and fun yet also tremendously helpful for their professional and academic careers.
We understand the situation is very uncertain and we therefore offer free cancellation and a full refund until 1 May. Are you ready to unlock your potential?
Ethnography or what Clifford Geertz called ‘deep-hanging out’ (1998) is becoming an increasingly popular research method among the main social science disciplines like anthropology and sociology. Ethnography provides a unique perspective which helps to explain the complexities of our everyday lives.
The bulk of the course is based on the combination of storytelling with ethnographic methodologies and theory. The multidisciplinary approach will help students to think outside the box regarding how to convert collected data, observations, and field notes into enticing stories that are both scientifically convincing and socially relevant.
And the end of this Hands-on Anthropology and Ethnographic Storytelling course from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam you:
- Are familiar with research methods and crafting styles in scientific inquiry.
- Have acquired fieldwork abilities and strengthened your skills in culturally sensitive research and analysis.
- Grasp the power of biography and representation embedded within stories.
- Have gained experience in collaborative storytelling and making digital visual narratives.
- Can reflect on the idea of “empowerment through participation” and address power inequalities in your research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This course stresses learning through the lens of through the practice of storytelling, with regards to anthropology. Practical anthropology brings together reflexivity and academic research to show how students can turn their field-notes and observations into coherent narratives which are scientifically valid.
- Students of the course will work closely with artists, social workers and practitioners, discussing both methodologies and writing styles.
- Practical anthropology guides you through the process of gathering stories as the basis for a scientific inquiry, using simple but effective fieldwork tools (such as mobile phones, Voice Recorder, Social Media). It will also set you up to present findings through creative writing, photo essays, and oral storytelling.
Students and professionals in the field of social sciences and behavioural studies, humanities, Business Administration, Medical consultancy and Social work with an interest in human behaviour, fieldwork, ethnography, interviews and storytelling.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 14 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Ethnic Studies View 3 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Transcript of records (a print screen of your most recent grades is sufficient and needs to include your name and the name of your University)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International850 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 850 EUR for the full programme during 14 days.
EU/EEA850 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 850 EUR for the full programme during 14 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.