The focus of the course is environmental management of natural resources (soil, water, air, biodiversity and climate) from a European perspective. The European Union (EU) sets the policy frame for almost all environmental regulation in the member states. This frame determines both the possibilities and the limitations for carrying out environmental management and developing environmental solutions in the EU.
In the first part of the course the concept of environmental management and the online learning platform used in the course is introduced. A short overview of European natural resources and the current state of the environment within the EU is given. Environmental ethics and sustainability concepts are discussed.
There will be an introduction to environmental monitoring and assessment, EU environmental law and EU environmental policy. Economic tools for environmental valuation and cost benefit analysis will be discussed. The Environmental Management in Europe course is offered by the University of Copenhagen.
- Summarise the background, the fundamental principles and the managerial approaches embedded in EU environmental law
- Identify how different tools and resources for environmental management can be used to acquire knowledge about the state of the environment and solve environmental problems
- Describe how insight and skills in natural sciences are used together with economics, law and planning in contributing to contemporary environmental management
- Reflect about own environmental ethics, and how environmental ethics and sustainability concepts of different stakeholders affect actual environmental policy in the EU.
Teaching and learning methods
- Internet based E-learning modules (E-modules) featuring E-lessons with weekly deadlines as well as team assignments and individual assignments.
- Each E-module is composed of an introduction to the E-module topic and two E-lessons featuring: learning objectives, learning resources - which can be text, video and/or audio files and questionnaires, and online learning activity in the form of a discussion.
- The role of the teachers is to assist student learning by serving as E-moderators for the various E-lessons and give feedback to the students.
- 5 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Environmental Management Environmental Sciences
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
International3600 EUR/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3600 EUR per module during 5 months.
EU/EEA1700 EUR/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1700 EUR per module during 5 months.
EU 12.750 DKK; Non EU 26.850 DKK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.