Interior decorating is the art of creating distinctive interior spaces that respond to functional needs and address aesthetic perceptions. Students in the Interior Design course of Georgian College focus on the use of space, beautification and furnishing of interiors and the documentation of design concepts resulting in an overall package that conveys a sense of place. Using a variety of formats including lecture, studio and lab, students complete projects to interpret client requirements and create innovative interiors. Students gain professional and entrepreneurial skills for industry and self-employment, as well as real life experience through participation in a field placement in the decorating field.
Graduates may find employment with large decorating firms offering a full range of consultancy services, building contractors, real estate agents, retailers, and specialty decorating centres. Students with entrepreneurial skills may become freelance interior decorators. Possible positions include interior decorating consultant, kitchen and bathroom designer, colour consultant, model home/condo finishes specifier, real estate staging consultant, lighting, flooring, furniture, window treatment and paint consultant/specialist/salesperson.
- Hand Drafting and Design Technology
- Drawing and Rendering
- History of Furniture
- Early Design History
- Sustainable Materials, Finishes and Furnishings
- History of Furniture
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- OSSD or equivalent with Grade 12 English (C or U)
- Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home school applicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicants who have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing.
- Secondary or high school transcripts with proof of graduation, subjects taken and grades received
- Math and English credits are required at the Grade 12 level.
International13740 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6870 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National2720 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1360 CAD per semester during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.