Paralegal at Algonquin College are non-lawyers providing legal services in specified areas of practice to the public for a fee. The type of work that a licensed paralegal can perform is governed by the LSO, and this program is restricted to those areas of law.
Students learn about case management and trial preparation in areas such as small claims court proceedings, provincial offences and summary conviction matters, as well as proceedings before administrative tribunals. An emphasis is placed on ethics and professional responsibility issues, and the requirements of running a firm and reporting to clients. Students acquire practical skills in a hands-on environment in preparation for becoming licensed paralegals, and gain valuable applied experience in practice management, case management, and ethical and professional responsibility matters through participation in a mandatory, unpaid field placement, which occurs at the end of the course work portion of the final term.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fundamentals of Law and Legal Relationships
- Legal Drafting and Communications
- Legal Research and Writing
- Administrative Law
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree; OR
- A combination of post-secondary education and a minimum of three (3) years of related work experience.
- Applicants not meeting the credential requirement must submit a resume, references and a letter of application outlining relevant work experience.
- Meeting the minimum stated admission requirements is not a guarantee of admission where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program. Should the number of qualified applicants exceed the number of available spaces, applicants will be ranked based on a review of their post-secondary credential.
International2440 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1220 CAD per semester during 10 months.
National2440 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1220 CAD per semester during 10 months.
Living costs for Ottawa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.