We are looking forward to welcoming you to VU Amsterdam Summer School online this year! Previous students exclaimed finding our summer school absolutely wonderful, interesting and fun yet also tremendously helpful for their professional and academic careers.
When you think of healthcare research, randomized controlled trials, numbers, calculations, and p-values might spring to mind. The Qualitative Health (Education) Research course is offered by Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam .
But did you know there is a different way to do research? In qualitative health (education) research, the experiences, opinions, behaviours, and feelings of patients, healthcare professionals, medical educators, and students are the main topics of interest.
At the end of the summer school, participants can:
- explain what qualitative research is and understand different paradigms
- formulate a research question and adjust this question during a research project
- name and recognize different mixed method and qualitative research designs
Prepare, conduct and transcribe/make notes of either :
- an interview study
- an observation study
- a visual (rich pictures) study
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThere are three strands within the course:
- ‘Show’: focuses on visual research (e.g. rich pictures)
- ‘Tell’: focuses on interview research and the analysis of talk
- ‘Observe’: focuses on observational research
- Share and compare sessions, in which students from different groups share and compare their experiences, progress, observations and questions;
- Spark sessions, in which guest lecturers inspire participants by presenting various qualitative methods they have used in research;
- Journal club sessions, in which we discuss papers together.
This course is aimed at students who are doing or are planning to do qualitative research as part of their Master’s or PhD programme. We focus on research in the fields of healthcare and medical education.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Dates session 1: 5 July – 16 July
Dates session 2: 19 July – 30 July
DisciplinesEducation Health Management Health Sciences View 10 other Short Courses in Health Management in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Transcript of records (a print screen of your most recent grades is sufficient and needs to include your name and the name of your University)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International700 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 700 EUR for the full programme during 10 days.
EU/EEA700 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 700 EUR for the full programme during 10 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.