For an instrument operated by a single user, modern TEM provides an analytical platform with unsurpassed versatility, giving access to structural and chemical information from the micrometer to the sub-angstrom scale. In a thin, electron-transparent sample one can measure the crystallinity, grain structure, size, and defects, and the chemical composition.
The crystal lattice can be imaged with atomic resolution, allowing observation of grain boundaries and interfaces. It is the only direct structural analysis method for studying nanoparticles
With this course you will gain a deep understanding of modern TEM and the connection between:
- the optics and operation of the instrument;
- the physics of electron-matter interactions;
- insights into the materials properties of the sample.
This Transmission Electron Microscopy for Materials Science offered by Coursera in partnership with École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne gives the background to:
- identify TEM techniques suitable to solving specific scientific problems;
- interpret TEM data presented in articles; appreciate the impact of technological advances that have, for instance, led to sub-angstrom resolution by aberration correction.
It can also be the basis for subsequent practical training on this remarkable instrument, and a stepping stone towards learning very advanced techniques with magical names like “dark field holography” or “angular resolved electron energy-loss spectroscopy”.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Diffraction basics: Ewald sphere / Reciprocal lattice
- Diffraction basics: Multi-beam / Kinematical scattering
- Diffraction and imaging: Dynamical effects
- Phase contrast
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 18 other Short Courses in Physics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Basics of crystallography, geometrical optics are needed prerequisites; Fourier optics, advanced crystallography and solid state physics will help.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 2 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 2 months.
You can choose from hundreds of free courses, or get a degree or certificate at a breakthrough price. You can now select Coursera Plus, an annual subscription that provides unlimited access.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You’ll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.