The Gender and Conflict course from SOAS University of London provides a focus for students interested in feminism and masculinity studies, sexuality and gender, alongside the tools to use gender analysis in the study of peacebuilding and peacekeeping, post-conflict initiatives, security and armed conflict.
The module uses interdisciplinary materials and research to examine the various dimensions of gender and conflict, in terms of the experiences of gendered subjects, as well as the legal and political frameworks that operate in conflict settings. Students will develop a nuanced understanding of various approaches to gender and sexuality and apply these to key issues across the spectrum of conflict.
What will I learn?
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand and explain the relevance theories on gender and sexuality to the study of conflict and security
- Be able to discuss and analyse the different roles women take up during armed conflicts and how these have different meanings within different cultural contexts
- Be aware of the international legal framework on women, peace and security
- To develop an understanding of feminist theories on peace and war, including contemporary understanding of gender diversity and transgendered subjects, male victims and the need for intersectional approaches to a feminist peace project
- For more information please visit the official website.
- 12 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- 15 SOAS credits
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 34 other Short Courses in Sociology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants must be a university student or a graduate at the time of attendance. Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification. Participants must be 18 or over at the time of attendance.
International1600 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1600 GBP for the full programme during 12 days.
National1600 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1600 GBP for the full programme during 12 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.