What can you do with QCA?
- QCA is a comparative method that is mainly used in the social sciences for the assessment of cause-effect relations (i.e. causation).
- QCA is relevant for researchers who normally work with qualitative methods and are looking for a more systematic way of comparing and assessing cases.
- QCA is also useful for quantitative researchers who like to assess alternative (more complex) aspects of causation, such as how factors work together in producing an effect.
- QCA can be used for the analysis of cases on all levels: macro (e.g. countries), meso (e.g. organizations) and micro (e.g. individuals).
- QCA is mostly used for research of small- and medium-sized samples and populations (10-100 cases), but it can also be used for larger groups. Ideally, the number of cases is at least 10. QCA cannot be used if you are doing an in-depth study of one case.
What will you learn in this course?
- After the course you will understand the methodological foundations of QCA.
- After the course you will know how to conduct a basic QCA study by yourself.
How is this course organized?
- The MOOC takes five weeks. The specific learning objectives and activities per week are mentioned in appendix A of the course guide. Please find the course guide under Resources in the main menu.
- The learning objectives with regard to understanding the foundations of QCA and practically conducting a QCA study are pursued throughout the course. However, week 1 focuses more on the general analytic foundations, and weeks 2 to 5 are more about the practical aspects of a QCA study.
- The activities of the Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) course offered by Coursera in partnership with Erasmus University Rotterdam include watching the videos, consulting supplementary material where necessary, and doing assignments. The activities should be done in that order: first watch the videos; then consult supplementary material (if desired) for more details and examples; then do the assignments.
- There are 10 assignments. Appendix A in the course guide states the estimated time needed to make the assignments and how the assignments are graded. Only assignments 1 to 6 and 8 are mandatory. These 7 mandatory assignments must be completed successfully to pass the course.
- Making the assignments successfully is one condition for receiving a course certificate.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Analytic foundations and the QCA research process
- Research design and calibration
- The truth table
- Logical minimization and the interpretation of output
- Using FsQCA, more about the interpretation of output, and the write-up
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 35 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Business Intelligence & Analytics View 172 other Short Courses in Business Intelligence & Analytics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Beginner Level
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 35 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 35 days.
You can choose from hundreds of free courses, or get a degree or certificate at a breakthrough price. You can now select Coursera Plus, an annual subscription that provides unlimited access.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You’ll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.