Designing and creating trousers will teach learners how to design and make trousers for men and women, by recording key body measurements, developing the ability to create unique designs, and made to measure patterns to create unique garments.
Learners will understand how to record body measurements used to create trousers for men and women, and develop the knowledge and skills to adapt the basic blocks into unique designs, with activities to create different waistbands, pockets, openings, and different trouser shapes and designs. Learners will develop the skills to create trouser patterns, and adapt patterns into individual designs; creating specification sheets for commercial patterns and manufacturing.
With tutorials in pattern making and sewing techniques, learners will develop the skills to hand or machine sew garments to fit their own body shape, developing the skills and knowledge to manufacture clothing, including fit analysis, and adjusting the fit of clothing to specific body shapes and size. Gaining valuable knowledge in the art of made to measure clothing, and how to obtain a perfect fit of a garment. The skills obtained from the technical creation side of the course will give learners the understanding of garment details and components, and provide the foundation to design a whole range of different trouser designs, leg lengths, widths, pocket styles and fabrics used in different casual and tailored looks.
This Designing and Creating Trousers from edX in collaboration with The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - HKPolyUx is part of the Professional Certificate Fashion Design and Creation will prepare learners for a career within the fashion industry, gaining a foundation of knowledge to complete an undergraduate programme, or work within the fashion industry as a designer, pattern cutter, merchandiser or fit technologist. They will understand how to make patterns, sew garments, fit to a person and design skills in creating trousers to specific body shapes. The knowledge and skills obtained in this course will provide a foundation of core abilities, which are used within the fashion industry.
What you'll learn
- How to use body measurements to make made to measure clothing
- How to make patterns for specific garments
- How to assemble garments
- The history of fashionable trouser designs
- How to design fashion garments
- How to create made to measure trousers
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Week 1 – Understand how to record body measurements used to create trousers
- Week 2 - Create a trouser block made from measurements, along with sewing a fitting sample, and completing a fit analysis
- Week 3 – Develop trouser adaptations; waist finishes, fly front opening, and pocket styles and designs. Along with educational content on fabrics which work for fashion garments.
- Week 4&5 - Gain appreciation of the history of designer trousers and develop the skills to design a unique range of trousers using a template. Taking one trouser design, and completing the industry specification sheet for production, creating the pattern and sewing a finished sample.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 35 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesDesign Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods Fashion Design
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Add a Verified Certificate for $100 USD
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.