Gamification is a process that helps you create interesting, interactive and fun content from the mundane by adding game-inspired elements. The best part about gamification is that it can be applied to many aspects of life, the fields of business, marketing and education being just a few examples.
Adding game elements to your content gives you a chance to widen your engagement and attract a wider audience. The TWS course explores the concept of gamification through real-life examples, and then gives participants the opportunity to develop their own working prototype.
About Serious Games:
Serious games are games designed for a purpose other than just entertainment. This purpose can relate to defence, education, science, health care, emergency management, urban planning, engineering, politics, and so on.
During this intensive course, participants will learn the essentials of designing serious and learning games. Participation in the course does not require programming skills.
Why this course?
- The course brings together participants with different backgrounds — education, art, software development, etc. — who can learn a lot not only from the instructors but also from each other.
- The knowledge on using game-design elements and game principles is useful in many fields, including business, marketing, education etc.
- You get to develop your idea into a working prototype.
Topics covered during this course:
- The nature of gamification and gamification design process
- Examples of gamification
- Generating and selecting ideas for gamification.
- Designing challenges
- Designing intrinsic motivators
- Designing extrinsic motivators
- Design of feedback and progress
- Incorporation of entertaining elements
- Other game elements
- Prototype development
- Prototype presentation and testing
- The nature of serious games
- Examples of serious and learning games
- Game design process and roles
- Finding an idea and defining the goal for your serious game
- Gameplay: challenges and actions. Core mechanics
- Design of game assets
- Narrative design in games
- Game development environments
- 5 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Regular optional meetings
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesEducation Video Games & Multimedia Human Computer Interaction View 4 other Short Courses in Human Computer Interaction in Estonia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
This course is suitable for all people who are interested in adding game elements in to nongame environment.
International200 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 200 EUR for the full programme during 5 days.
National200 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 200 EUR for the full programme during 5 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.