The introduction to the course starts with positioning SME Finance compared to other client segments, e.g. corporate clients or retail clients. The learning goal of the course is to explain the main SME Finance principles, mainly focusing on credit risk analysis, the lending decision process and appropriate risk-taking intermediation as well as customer relationship management.
SME businesses face a number of specific risks in their business but SME lending is a profitable business for many MFIs and banks that use the right methodology –cash flow based lending- and appropriate decision making tools.
Understanding the challenges that small and medium business owners are facing is fundamental to the provision of excellent service and achieving good credit decisions.
The Certified Expert in SME Finance from Frankfurt School of Finance and Management follows the below listed basic logics and assumptions on SME Finance:
- SMEs require specific financial services and products according to their comparably small size and often limited scope.
- SMEs sometimes operate in informal or semi-formal environments; access to reliable (or even audited) financial data is therefore often limited.
- Since audited financial statements and sound business planning may not be available, the financial institution has to analyze the situation of the client carefully and verify verbal or internal statements.
- Once data is gathered and verified, lending decisions can be taken based on financial considerations and depending on risk appetite.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- SME Credit Analysis - Collecting and Understanding Information
SME Credit Analysis - Verifying Information
- SME Credit Analysis - Financial Analysis
- SME Credit Analysis - Cash Flow Analysis
- Loan Portfolio Management and Monitoring
- Supporting Activities and Strategy
- Mid-management of financial institutions working with SME Finance
- Operational staff within financial institutions working with SME Finance
- Top management of financial institutions wanting to enter SME Finance
- Staff of regulators, policy makers, donors and other SME Finance related institutions
- Staff of SME associations
- Consultants, students and other individuals interested in SME Finance
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 6 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEconomics Finance International Development View 6 other Short Courses in International Development in Germany
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1550 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1550 EUR for the full programme during 6 months.
EU/EEA1550 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1550 EUR for the full programme during 6 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.