The Qing Dynasty was the wealthiest, most powerful, most civilized state on earth — but by the 20th century, a 2,000-year imperial tradition is gone. What happened?
This History of China - The Modern Era series from Harvard University - HarvardX explores the building of contemporary China, a new country that sits on the bedrock of a great and ancient civilization.
China re-engages with the West, the Communist Party comes to the fore, the Cultural Revolution returns Mao to power, and economic reforms usher in new foreign investments and renewed international trade.
Throughout, enduring issues — political unity, population growth, environmental costs, social constraints, commercialization, internationalization — test the country’s national identity.
When did modern Chinese history begin? How do you define a “modern China”? Will the 21st century be the Chinese century? As China continues to play a critical role on the world stage, understanding these questions is essential to understanding the global world we live in. This course provides that understanding and will enable you to find your own answers.
What you will learn
- An overview of modern Chinese history, including the fall of the Qing and the end of imperial China.
- How China engaged with the West and how this confrontation still resonates today.
- The birth of modern China between the fall of the Qing and the end of World War II.
- The rise of the Communist Party, the Cultural Revolution, and the reopening of China.
- China from the rise of Deng Xiaoping to the present.
- China’s global leadership role in the 21st century.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Modern China's Foundations: The Manchus and the Qing
- Invasions, Rebellions, and the Fall of Imperial China
- Creating Modern China: The Republican Period to the Present
- China and Communism
- Contemporary China: The People's Republic, Taiwan, and Hong Kong
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 19 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 4 other Short Courses in Modern History in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International281 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 445 USD for the full programme during 19 months.
National281 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 445 USD for the full programme during 19 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.