Why has Star Trek, which began as a failed network series, become so influential? Instead of fading away, the Star Trek universe now encompasses feature films, additional television series, and a universe of fan conventions and memorabilia.
This Course is Part of a XSeries
What about the shows and movies resonate with so many people? The powerful vision of futuristic space exploration drew on real history and contemporary issues to enhance its storytelling. Star Trek inspired audiences to ask fundamental questions about who they are and how they relate to the world around them.
When you enroll in this Star Trek - Inspiring Culture and Technology course offered by The Smithsonian Institution - SmithsonianX, you will examine how Star Trek’s live action television shows and motion pictures affected audiences around the world.
With your hosts, Margaret Weitekamp and Scott Mantz, you will discover the connections between Star Trek and history, culture, technology and society. You will hear from experts, watch clips from the shows and films, debate with fellow fans. and explore your own perspectives on and understanding of Star Trek's lasting impact.
Through critical analysis and object exploration, you will examine how Star Trek tackled controversial topics, such as race, gender, sexuality, and ethics. Then, the mission is yours. Join the community to engage in civil discourse. Use evidence to understand how Star Trek shaped and still influences our technology and society.
What you will learn
- Learn why we should study Star Trek as a lens for media scholars to analyze the history of television, the impact of science fiction on technology, and the phenomenon of fandom
- Explore how Star Trek depicted a future where humans were explorers of the universe - serving as an inspiration to individuals and government agencies deeply involved in the race to get human beings into space for the first time
- Understand how Star Trek's diverse crew prompted audiences to reconsider their own perceptions of different races and genders
- Reflect on how Star Trek depicted various characters working to understand themselves and their place in the universe
- Recognize how Star Trek inspires reflection on our own humanity and our place in the universe
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Courses in this program
- Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology
- Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology II
- Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology Ill
- 5 months
- 1 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Innovation Management Technology Management View 37 other Short Courses in Innovation Management in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
International108 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 108 USD for the full programme during 5 months.
National108 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 108 USD for the full programme during 5 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.