Anxiety is a common condition experienced by young people that can escalate to a point where it impacts on their general wellbeing and activities of daily living; brain development and performance at school or college. If untreated the risk of developing chronic and enduring mental health conditions increases, as well as the risks of deliberate self harm and suicide.
On this course you will learn how to identify anxiety disorders experienced by young people, understand ‘stigma’ related to mental health and develop your ability to help a young person experiencing debilitating anxiety
By the end of the Youth Mental Health - Helping Young People with Anxiety course from University of East Anglia by FutureLearn, you'll be able to:
- Identify anxiety disorders commonly experienced by adolescents
- Describe the aetiology (causes) of anxiety in young people
- Explain what ‘stigma’ is in relation to mental illness generally
- Identify between normal and abnormal anxiety states
- Explain how to assist a young person experiencing abnormal anxiety states
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?Week 1
- The characteristics of anxiety
- Adolescent development
- Anxiety as a biological response / toxic stress
- Other linked mental health conditions
- Stigma and mental illness
- Engaging with young people / safeguarding
- Ways of helping the young person with anxiety
- End of course summary
- 21 days
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesHealth Management Health Sciences View 138 other Short Courses in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is for health professionals and teachers without specialist training in this area, it doesn’t require any prior experience or knowledge.
- It’s suitable for professionals doing continuous professional development.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 21 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 21 days.
- Extra Benefits if you upgrade: From $74
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.