We’ll show you around our field school at the Vale of Pewsey, a relatively untouched site compared to its famous neighbour, Stonehenge.
An excavation is more than just digging with a trowel. You’ll investigate how and where to dig, collect, record and store precious finds and take a closer look at what you can learn from a discovery once you’ve found it.
One of the most intriguing finds of all is a burial site and you’ll examine the archaeological methods employed in the study of the dead. How can you recreate the life, health and occupation of an individual just from their skeletal remains?
By the end of the Archaeology - from Dig to Lab and Beyond course from University of Reading by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Explain how an archaeological dig works, from the planning stages, through excavation, to the analysis and storage of artefacts
- Summarise the basic characteristics of all archaeological periods from the Mesolithic to the post-medieval period (c.8000 BC–AD 1900)
- Describe the main ways in which archaeologists analyse human skeletons
- Debate some of the key issues facing archaeology today
- Understand the transferable skills you will acquire from studying archaeology
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
- The Lab
- The Dig
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 14 days
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesArchaeology History Ancient History View 37 other Short Courses in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- No prior experience of archaeology is needed.
- This course is designed for anyone interested in studying an archaeology degree at university.
- However, anyone with an enthusiastic interest in archaeology is very welcome to join us too.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 14 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 14 days.
- It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $64. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.