The Back Skills Training (BeST) programme focuses on ‘undoing’ beliefs about low back pain, and provides skills to become more active, despite pain. The programme was developed by experts in psychology, physiotherapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy, and people with long-standing low back pain.
According to a rigorous clinical trial, the BeST programme produces long term reductions in people’s pain and disability and is a very cost effective treatment.
On this Cognitive Behavioural Skills to Treat Back Pain - The Back Skills Training (BeST) Programme from The University of Oxford by FutureLearn you will explore the BeST programme, examining the causes of persistent low back pain, and the cognitive behavioural approach.
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Apply a cognitive behavioural approach to effectively help people better manage persistent low back pain.
- Reflect on how to implement these techniques in clinical practice.
- Lead a group back skills training (BeST) programme in your clinical setting.
- Demonstrate understanding of a cognitive behavioural approach to managing persistent low back pain.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- The nature and cause of persistent low back pain.
- The cognitive behavioural approach.
- Exercise and activity for low back pain.
- How thoughts and feelings can influence pain.
- Pain management skills.
- 42 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Organisational Behaviour Health Sciences View 138 other Short Courses in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is approved by the British Psychological Society for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development for healthcare professionals.
- It is designed for healthcare professionals with a role or interest in managing patients with low back pain (including nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and psychological therapists).
- It will also be useful for students training to become healthcare professionals. The Certificate of Achievement for this course would be useful for providing evidence of CPD.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 42 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 42 days.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $89. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.