Screenplays form the starting point for most dramatic films, the essential work from which all other filmmaking flows. All of the tender romance, terrifying action and memorable lines begin at the screenwriter’s desk. This free online course will introduce you to the basic elements and key concepts behind a professional screenplay.
The University of East Anglia’s School of Literature, Drama and Creative Writing have built this course with instructors and recent alumni from their famed course in Creative Writing.
By the end of the An Introduction to Screenwriting course from University of East Anglia by FutureLearn , you'll be able to:
- Explore key issues in the practice of creating screenplays
- Explain the basic principles of the screenwriting process
- Identify the essentials of the screenplay format
- Discuss the construction of a professional script
- Design a story 'pitch'
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureWhat topics will you cover?
- Basic characteristics of screen story
- Development of a basic storyline
- Story structures including The Three Act Structure and alternate story structures
- Characters and developing character outlines
- The construction of scenes including the role of dialogue and character voice
- The workflow for writing a first draft of feature film screenplay
- The process for screenplay formatting
- Writing – and finishing – a first draft
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 14 days
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Creative Writing View 40 other Short Courses in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
There are no formal requirements for this course, just an interest in screenwriting.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 14 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 14 days.
It's free to join and study this course, you have the option to upgrade and receive a digital and printed certificate for $59. Additional benefits can be reached via the Unlimited FutureLearn product.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.