- Critical theory, in the tradition of the Frankfurt School, aims to develop a philosophical understanding and evaluation of social conflicts in contemporary societies. It engages not only with classic philosophy but also with the social sciences, psychoanalysis and aesthetics. From its start almost a century ago, it has supplied deep insights into the links between knowledge, culture and economy, as well as a distinctive philosophical method. In this summer school we will examine classic questions and contemporary debates in critical theory and their relevance for understanding crisis in present-day societies.
- You will get acquainted with the social- philosophical methodology of critical theory and its approaches to politics and culture, specifically its contributions to the study of political and social crisis, power, ideology, mass culture, and aesthetics at the University of Groningen. Our discussions aim at inspiring new insights with societal relevance. Critical Theory: philosophy and social critique’s interdisciplinary engagement with philosophy will allow you to develop new perspectives for your own research.
After this course you will:
- have a wide-ranging insight into the themes of Critical Theory
- have the ability to relate its key questions to your own research
- have enriched your methodological philosophical competence
- be able to use methods and theories from Critical Theory to apply to current debates
The summer school is suitable for students with basic as well as advanced knowledge of Critical Theory, and for PhD students who work in related areas. Advanced BA students are especially encouraged to attend and actively participate in the summer school. Prior coursework in continental social philosophy is strongly recommended.
- Dr. Titus Stahl
- Dr. Judith Vega
- 7 days
- 7 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy View 4 other Short Courses in Philosophy in Netherlands
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The summer school is suitable for students with basic as well as advanced knowledge of Critical Theory, and for PhD students who work in related areas. Advanced bachelor students are especially encouraged to attend and actively participate in the summer school. Prior coursework in continental social philosophy is strongly recommended.
- Priority will be given to participants who can show previous education in Critical Theory. Participants will be admitted according to motivation, English writing skills, and study results
- It is expected that the participants have a sufficient command of the English language to actively participate in the discussions and to present their own work in English.
International180 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 180 EUR for the full programme during 7 days.
EU/EEA180 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 180 EUR for the full programme during 7 days.
- BA/MA students: € 180
- PhD students: € 250
- BA/MA students: € 80
- PhD students: € 130
Living costs for Groningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.