The LSUE at the University of Lucerne, Switzerland focus on areas such as human rights ethics, gender justice and intersectionality, economic, financial and corporate ethics, ethics of digitisation, automation, robotization and the use of artificial intelligence, bioethics, medical ethics and environmental ethics.
"In particular, LSUE offers students and junior researchers, who normally cannot deal with ethical topics in their everyday study and research life, the opportunity to engage in an in-depth examination of current ethical issues", explains Prof. Dr. Peter G. Kirchschlaeger, founder and director of the LSUE.
Enrichment through interreligious and transcultural dialogue
The interreligious and transcultural dialogue gives the 20 doctoral and 10 master's students the opportunity to enrich each other. They are supported by mentoring and targeted support.
The interdisciplinary and international circle of the faculty from academia, international organizations, and business ensures a practical connection.
Bringing together and combine different points of view
The combination of various perspectives not only enriches the LSUE participants and thus science and research, but also civil societies, business and politics in a broader sense.
Through the exchange, consultation and interaction in such a collective, responsible decision-makers emerge. In addition, research and cooperation in ethics promote scientific work with socially relevant considerations that is oriented towards practice and the future. Since the emergence of LSUE, the guiding principle "Know how, act now" has shaped the programme and its implementation.
Certificate and 6 ECTS
Global justice and human rights
- Global inequality and poverty
- Escape and migration
- Finance and economy
- Digitalization and robotization
- Artificial intelligence
Relation between ethics and law
Master and PhD students
- 5 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The application period starts 15 September 2021 until the end of November.
Certificate and 6 ECTS after the positive evaluation of the final papers.
- Regular mandatory meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesInternational Relations Philosophy & Ethics Corporate Social Responsibility
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- PhD and Doctoral students as well as MA students from around the world and from a variety of disciplines can apply to take part in building a global network for sustainable responsibility by participating in the Lucerne Summer University: Ethics in a Global Context LSUE.
- They do this by demonstrating their interest in present and future ethical issues in a global context and by having specific plans on how they can achieve a positive effect by implementing the skills learned at the Summer University in their individual situation and academic work, not to mention what they would bring to the global and interdisciplinary network of people involved in the fields of science and research.
There are no tuition fees. You can apply for a scholarship to cover expenses for travel and accommodation.
Living costs for Lucerne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Grant/ financing travel, housing, and meals: There are no tuition fees. Please note that we are only able to grant a very limited number of grants that will cover travel expenses, housing, and meals to candidates with financial restrictions. Please also consider exploring other sources of financial aid. Your home university might be able to advise you on financial aid possibilities.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.