Drawing on the subjects of criminology, social policy, economics, environmental studies, geography, international studies, politics and sociology, you'll explore a wide range of everyday topics. Through the module’s investigative and thematic approach you’ll learn the methods, perspectives and tools of the social sciences, further developing your analytical and evaluative skills.
This Investigating The Social World module from The Open University UK will help you decide your specialisation at OU level 2, and equip you with a range of skills for further independent study, and for your personal and working life.
After this module, further study in the social sciences could open up employment opportunities in a wide range of occupations in business, banking, insurance, education, health professions, administration, law, social services, voluntary and campaigning organisations, the media, public relations, public service organisations and government (national and local), planning and environmental management, the criminal justice system, and social welfare organisations. The module builds a strong basis of vocationally oriented skills that are transferable to the job market.
Programme StructureThis module consists of four blocks of study that take an international perspective to exploring the structure of the social world.
Block 1, the introductory block, uses the topic of money to introduce you to the way the social sciences investigate the social world.
- Block 2 uses the topic of home and the theme of inequality to explore how five different social science perspectives understand different meanings and issues around what home is, or what it can be.
- Block 3 looks at the political, economic and geographical aspects of responsibility for the environment and questions around the use of its resources.
- Block 4 explores boundaries - social, policy, legal and others – and how they structure the world.
- 8 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Corporate Social Responsibility View 25 other Short Courses in Social Work in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any specific GRE, GMAT or GPA grading score requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This is an OU level 1 module. OU level 1 modules provide core subject knowledge and study skills needed for both higher education and distance learning, to help you progress to modules at OU level 2.
- This module is designed to follow on from Introducing the social sciences (DD102) but is also available for standalone study.
- If you are new to higher education, we recommend that you first study Introducing the social sciences (DD102) as its interdisciplinary approach to the social sciences and its integrated teaching of key study skills will give you a firm foundation for further study.
International3228 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3228 GBP for the full programme during 8 months.
National3228 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3228 GBP for the full programme during 8 months.