This Getting Started in Creative Writing course at University of Oxford gives avid readers the skills necessary to turn a love of the written word into a practical experience. It introduces the key characteristics of creative writing, and students are supported with stage-by-stage guidance as they assimilate and put into practice a range of critical and creative methods. In addition to tutor feedback on the course assignments, participants will be encouraged to discuss one another's writing in the course forums, and will be given guidance on offering constructive and useful criticism.
Beginning with an introduction to writing fiction, this course leads students step-by-step through the essentials of the craft – including characterization, plotting, description, dialogue and editing – towards an enhanced understanding of how novels and stories are written. There are also individual sessions on special topics – such as constructing an effective opening sequence, using imagery creatively, and working with experimental or other distinctive genres – and the emphasis throughout is upon developing an individual voice and a confident style while working in a wholly supportive environment.
This course aims to provide students with insight into the major aspects affecting creative writing, and enable them to use these features confidently in their own writing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Key features (such as point-of-view, dialogue, etc) in a fictional work.
- The practical use of such characteristics in their own writing.
- How to use these aspects of technical expertise with increased skill and confidence.
- The ability to recognize and name key features in literature.
- Knowledge of what effects these features produce and how to undertake their use.
- Increased confidence in their own use of such features as enhancements to the development of an individual 'voice' in creative writing.
- 3 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Creative Writing View 77 other Short Courses in Language Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- We do not insist that applicants hold an English language certification, but warn that they may be at a disadvantage if their language skills are not of a comparable level to those qualifications listed on our website.
This course is delivered online; to participate you must to be familiar with using a computer for purposes such as sending email and searching the Internet. You will also need regular access to the Internet and a computer meeting our recommended minimum computer specification.
International495 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 495 GBP for the full programme during 3 months.
EU/EEA420 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 420 GBP for the full programme during 3 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.