Take your digital photography skills to a professional level.
Most people own a camera that would’ve been the envy of professionals 10 years ago, but it takes more than clicking to create amazing digital images.
On this Digital Photography - Creating a Professional Portfolio Microcredential at The Open University by FutureLearn, you’ll explore the theory and practicalities of digital imaging, from how light refracts through a camera lens to what makes a visually pleasing scene.
As well as theoretical work, you’ll tackle a series of hands-on assignments designed to progress your technical and artistic skill and share them with a supportive online community.
Through this course, you’ll use your work to create a portfolio for professional work, allowing you to build the skills and experience you need to prove to clients that you can deliver to a professional standard.
What you will achieve
By the end of the microcredential, you’ll be able to:
- Apply photographic techniques to create interesting images in a genre of your choice
- Produce high quality digital images using a combination of manual methods and editing software
- Demonstrate knowledge of the internal workings of modern cameras (including smart phones) and how they create images
- Develop your own photographic style and give constructive feedback on others
- Identify different photographic genres and the most effective techniques used in each
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly-growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Digital Photography: Creating a Professional Portfolio
- 70 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- No Attendance
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Digital Marketing View 35 other Short Courses in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- To join this microcredential, it’s recommended you have a basic understanding of photographic techniques and digital photo-editing and have basic computer skills.
- You’ll need a camera that creates images as digital files and it should have some controls and settings (eg shutter speed, aperture or automatic settings). It’s possible to complete the course using a smartphone with a reasonable camera.
- You’ll also need photo-editing software on your computer, smartphone or device. You’ll use a variety of commercial and free tools including Photoshop, Affinity and others.
International604 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 604 USD for the full programme during 70 days.
National604 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 604 USD for the full programme during 70 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.