This Interventions and Calibration course offered by Coursera in partnership with Imperial College London covers approaches for modelling treatment of infectious disease, as well as for modelling vaccination. Building on the SIR model, you will learn how to incorporate additional compartments to represent the effects of interventions, such the effect of vaccination in reducing susceptibility.
You will learn about ‘leaky’ vaccines and how to model them, as well as different types of vaccine and treatment effects. It is important to consider basic relationships between models and data, so, using the basic SIR model you have developed in course 1, you will calibrate this model to epidemic data.
Performing such a calibration by hand will help you gain an understanding of how model parameters can be adjusted in order to capture real-world data.
Lastly in this course, you will learn about two simple approaches to computer-based model calibration - the least-squares approach and the maximum-likelihood approach; you will perform model calibrations under each of these approaches in R.
What you will learn
- Identify the relationship between models and real-world epidemiological data
- Incorporate treatment or vaccination into an SIR model, accounting for imperfect efficacy, and for different mechanisms of action
- Perform simple calibrations of an SIR model against time-series data, selecting parameters to maximise the fit of the model to the data
- Recognise two simple approaches to computer-based model calibration and perform model calibrations under each of these approaches in R.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Modelling Interventions
- Confronting Models with Data - Part A
- Confronting Models with Data - Part B
- Confronting models with data – Part C
More Details on Coursera Plus:
- Learn Anything: Explore any interest or trending topic, take prerequisites, and advance your skills
- Save money: Spend less money on your learning if you plan to take multiple courses this year
- Flexible Learning: Learn at your own pace, move between multiple courses, or switch to a different course
- Unlimited Certificates: Earn a certificate for every learning program that you complete at no additional cost
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 1 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesChemistry Public Health Health Sciences View 14 other Short Courses in Chemistry in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Intermediate Level
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 1 months.
You can choose from hundreds of free courses, or get a degree or certificate at a breakthrough price. You can now select Coursera Plus, an annual subscription that provides unlimited access.
Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You'll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved. You'll need to complete this step for each course in the Specialization, including the Capstone Project.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.