The current fashion industry is primarily run on the so-called linear economy. Effects following the culture of take-make-waste are clearly visible on an environmental and human level. Not only within the context of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, but furthermore as part of the recently framed Green New Deal focusing on a transformation towards an equitable and sustainable Europe, the industry is urgently required to change.
Alternative structures with the aim to design out waste, keep products in the loop and to regenerate natural systems are offered through the circular economy. What does this mean for fashion? Which impact does a circular strategy have on design, production and business processes?
By questioning existing structures and rethinking what’s common practice, we can use the power of collaboration to create innovative concepts and business models.
Why choose us?
- Surrounded by the inspiring diverse backgrounds of the participants, you will become part of a team aspiring to set a new benchmark for the fashion industry’s future.
- The Introduction into Circular Fashion Design course at Birmingham City University is developed and lead by our tutor Sabine Lettmann who is working as a practitioner in the field of circular fashion design. Her creative network and links to the fashion industry will prepare you with industry-relevant knowledge and skills.
- The online workshop will flourish with the transdisciplinary background participants bring. Taught live, you will be working together in small teams to learn and create collaborative concepts in the first part. In the second part of the workshop, you will be able to take your individual approach and develop the concept in more depth allowing you to prioritise your interest in relation to circular fashion design.
- After examining individual steps of the whole design process in detail, you will learn about raw materials and innovative fibres to be able to make better choices for your own concept development enhancing the transition point between continuous usage cycles. This process will be accompanied by an introduction into alternative consumption methods, business strategies and communication to give you an overview of how to rethink fashion in holistic structures.
- At the end of the workshop you will prepare a group presentation.
- 3 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Sustainable Development Fashion Design View 89 other Short Courses in Design in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants from various backgrounds and on various skill levels are welcome to join this workshop. However, some knowledge of fashion or textile design principles, fashion business or other subject related areas is recommended to understand the next steps up to the level of circular design.
International400 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 400 GBP for the full programme during 3 days.
National400 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 400 GBP for the full programme during 3 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.