This Perioperative Nurse Surgical Assistant (PNSA) course at La Trobe University is the only specialised course of study in Australia that prepares perioperative Registered Nurses to undertake advanced nursing practice skills in surgical assisting and collaborative patient care in pre-operative and postoperative care of the surgical patient population.
In undertaking studies in PNSA the student embarks on an advanced practice journey toward practicing as a Perioperative Nurse Surgeons Assistant PNSA. The student PNSA undertakes this Advanced Clinical Practice CPD course in the specialist area of Perioperative Nurse Surgical Assistant (PNSA), to develop their cognitive and technical skills to demonstrate an advanced understanding of the underlying principles and theoretical concepts in the role of surgical assistance.
During both subjects, all students engage in robust online discussion via blog postings with fellow students and the Course Coordinator. The student is required to develop a Clinical Practice Log and meet all aspects of credentialing and assessment requirements under the supervision of their Surgeon mentor/s.
The course is based on the following:
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Health Advocacy
- Judgement and clinical decision making
- Management and leadership
- Nursing Expertise
- Professionalism and ethics
- Scholarship and teaching
- Technical expertise
- 8 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Early Bird - 30 January
DisciplinesNursing Midwifery View 8 other Short Courses in Nursing in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Provider Code Number 00115M
- Current registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), Division 1 Registered Nurse skills and knowledge, and a Master of Nursing or similar, subject to approval by Course Coordinator.
- Students must be aware that they are required to ensure they meet all requirements of the hospitals or facilities they work with their surgeon/s and check all facility requirements and student agreements or other legal requirements that are required to practice.
- Broadband internet access and an active email address that can be accessed at home during study periods.
- Students must have basic computer literacy skills (e.g. Word or other word processing software)
International2200 AUD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 AUD for the full programme during 8 months.
National2200 AUD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2200 AUD for the full programme during 8 months.
- Early Bird - $2,000.00 ($1,000.00 per subject) GST exempt
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.