As you move through this ExpertTrack, you’ll gain the skills and confidence to: - improvise using scalic, choral, motivic routes and special devices play in voiced position - include other influences connected with jazz, such as jazz funk, third stream, and indo-fusion.
The first Learn to Play Jazz Piano course at FutureLearn in this series will give you an introduction to jazz improvisation on the piano, and equip you to play jazz piano in a group using a playalong.
You’ll first focus on the blues, before moving on to playing a jazz standard and building a foundation in the art of improvisation.
Key skills you will learn
- Improvising on Jazz Standards
- Rhythm changes
- Minor blues sequences
- Modulation and rhythmic phrases
- playing solo jazz piano
- Scale and Chord theory
- Afro-Cuban Styles
- Jazz Funk
- Special devices and comping
- Modal scales
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Learn Jazz Piano: Begin with the Blues
- Learn jazz piano: Improvising on Jazz Standards
- Learn Jazz Piano: Advanced and Solo Playing
- Learn Jazz Piano: Final Topics and Two Concerts
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 6 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesMusic Music History View 3 other Short Courses in Music History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is for any interested pianist, but may be of particular interest to university or college piano students studying music. You need to be comfortable playing piano in general but do not need any experience of Jazz.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International43 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43 USD per module during 6 months.
National43 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 43 USD per module during 6 months.
Tuition per month.
Price range in different currencies: £36 / $39 / €36
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.