On this ground-breaking course, you’ll work with renowned academics from the University of Edinburgh and other leading universities across the world to explore scholarly perspectives on the Sharia and Islamic law.
Key facts:The Sharia and Islamic Law - An Introduction at FutureLearn explores some of the diverse roles that the Sharia and Islamic law have played in Muslim life, both historically and today.You’ll be encouraged to think critically about the nature of religious law as you explore its many manifestations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
What topics will you cover?
- What is Law? What is the Sharia? What is Islamic Law?
- How did Islamic Law work in the past and how did Islamic law adapt to social change?
- Understandings of justice and the impact of colonialism on Islamic law.
- The diverse manifestations of Islamic law in Muslim life today in contexts ranging from Nigeria to Palestine, and from Indonesia to the United Kingdom.
- The role of Islamic law in a wide range of human activity, from individual worship to marriage/divorce.
- 35 days
- 4 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Religious Studies & Theology View 20 other Short Courses in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
The course is open to anyone interested in learning more about how the Sharia has been understood in Muslim life and law in different parts of the world, both historically and today.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.