Find out how your diet affects your brain, and your brain affects your diet.
Over the last few years, the importance of the link between gut and brain has become clear. On this course you’ll explore this complex relationship.
In this Food for Thought - The Relationship Between Food, Gut and Brain course at EIT Food by FutureLearn you’ll learn how the brain works, and is affected by diet and nutritional deficiencies. You’ll also discover less known, cutting-edge subjects such as the gut-brain axis, the microbiome, and the relationship between food and reproductive health.
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the role of our diet on brain function
- Reflect on the role of psychological and neurobiological factors in our food choices
- Reflect on the possible causes (biological, social, psychological) of unhealthy and pathological eating behaviours
- Describe the connection between the brain and our digestive system (gut)
- Discuss the topics of the course and their relationship with daily life
The CPD Certification Service: The CPD Certification Service was established in 1996 and is the leading independent CPD accreditation institution operating across industry sectors to complement the CPD policies of professional and academic bodies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Responses to feeding, reward systems and food addiction
- Cognitive and emotional influences on food behaviors
- Brain, mind and our diet
- Gut-brain axis and the microbiome
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 35 days
- 4 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Health Sciences Food Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course is open to everyone, but may be of particular interest to psychologists or people working in health and well-being. No previous experience is required, though a background knowledge of biology or psychology may help.
- The Educators won’t be able to join the discussions themselves or respond to individual comments, but the course encourages a strong learning community. The learning is focused around debate and discussion – supporting other learners, sharing your own experience and knowledge, and listening to new perspectives. We hope that you will enjoy interacting with and learning from each other in this way. Don’t forget to comment, reply to other learners and ‘like’ comments.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 35 days.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD for the full programme during 35 days.
- Extra Benefits if you upgrade: From $59
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.