The Contemporary Art Summer School, led by performance artist and academic researcher Despina Zacharopoulou since 2017, examines the rich array of positions, methods and materials that artists use, as well as exploring the questions raised by contemporary art and its production.This three-week, online, practice-led short course provides a supportive environment for self-led independent practice and introduces participants to the study of contemporary art within the academic environment of the Royal College of Art.
Taught online by RCA staff and supported by a broad range of prominent artists, academics, critics and curators, the course provides participants with the opportunity to develop their individual practice within an interdisciplinary, collaborative atmosphere.
- expand your practice and knowledge on contemporary art through workshops, lectures, film screenings, tutorials and group crits
- improve your presentation and discussion skills while presenting your work to RCA staff, visiting artists, and academics, in a professional and diverse environment
- receive feedback and practical advice from RCA staff and experts in contemporary art
- develop your work under the supervision of the course leader
- get dedicated time for independent study in your own space
- benefit from professional online technical support to develop your practice
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Learning takes place in 13 live four-hour sessions over a three-week period.
Despina Zacharopoulou is a London-based Greek performance artist and academic researcher supported by the Onassis Foundation. Despina has been the academic leader of the RCA Contemporary Art Summer School since 2017, while also leading school groups, tutorials and crits at the RCA MA programs since 2016.
- 13 days
- 16 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 32 other Short Courses in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
To apply, please complete our online application form from the course webpage.
RCA online courses are organised in synchronous sessions in a live virtual environment that combines various digital platforms and tools.For this particular course the main tool of online delivery will be the Zoom Platform
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.