This Software and Sustainability course at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam views sustainability as an integral part of software and aims to define a method that helps inform sustainability-driven design decisions.
Despite the growing concern with sustainability around the world, we currently lack the instruments to design digital solutions, particularly sustainable software solutions.
This course views sustainability as an integral part of software and aims to define a method that helps inform sustainability-driven design decisions.
The method relies on ‘decision maps,’ which can frame the architectural design concerns surrounding four types of sustainability - technical, economic, social, and environmental.
The course will teach students how to identify sustainability-related concerns in interdisciplinary projects, model them in ‘decision maps’ and reflect on the sustainability impact of decisions made during such projects concerning the various types of sustainability.
Students will get the most out of this course if they can bring their own project. If this isn’t possible, we will provide a project to allow students to explore and develop their own personal sustainability framework.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the notion of sustainability and its impact over time.
- Apply sustainability analysis to a concrete project, develop critical thinking skills.
- Quantify and qualify sustainability impacts and the role of design decisions in an interdisciplinary context.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 5 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 6 other Short Courses in Computer Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This course will benefit Master’s and PhD students in Computer Science and related disciplines or in fields where digitalization plays a significant role.
- Students who are interested in how software and digitalisation impact sustainability and energy transition will excel in this course. If you have any doubts about your eligibility for the course, don't hesitate to get in touch with us.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International600 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 600 EUR for the full programme during 5 days.
EU/EEA600 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 600 EUR for the full programme during 5 days.
- Students, PhD students and employees of VU Amsterdam, Amsterdam UMC or an Aurora Network Partner: €500
- Students and PhD students: €600
- Professionals: €800
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.