Science and Technology of Nanolithography at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam covers the surprisingly rich physics behind some of the fundamental processes occurring in Nanolithography. These range from the interaction of intense laser light with metals, the generation of plasmas, the generation of EUV light in plasmas, the creation of good mirrors out of badly reflecting materials, (sub-)nm metrology on semiconductor structures and the light sources needed for such metrology.
In state-of-the-art nanolithography a mask containing the layout of a computer chip is imaged, using extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light, onto a thin layer of photo-resist on top of a semiconductor wafer from which the computer chips are fabricated. In this summer course we will follow the path that the light in said state-of-the-art nanolithography takes, and also address the challenges of
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Reproduce and apply new, advanced physics concepts from areas relevant in nanolithography such as advanced optics, plasma physics, surface science, high-harmonic generation, and new concepts in metrology.
- Apply and combine basic and advanced physics concepts and new paradigms (e.g. also from BSc courses on solid state physics; atomic, molecular and optical physics) to analyse and solve concrete problems that transcend individual physics domains in state-of-the-art nanolithography, specifically in the nanolithography fields of: Optics for extreme ultraviolet light; Laser-driven plasma light sources; Optical inspection and metrology; Thin films and surfaces and their interactions with light.
- 11 days
Start dates & application deadlines
Early Bird Deadline: 15 March
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology Natural Sciences Nanoscience and Nanotechnology View 4 other Short Courses in Electronics & Embedded Technology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- This course is suitable for BSc level physics students (being either advanced in their BSc studies or having finished BSc) as well as for more senior, MSc students. Talented post-MSc students are also welcome.
- It is not necessary to provide us with proof of your English. We do expect your English to be sufficient to understand classes and course literature.
International950 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 950 EUR for the full programme during 11 days.
EU/EEA950 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 950 EUR for the full programme during 11 days.
- VU Students/PhD candidates and employees of VU Amsterdam* or an Aurora Network Partner: €650
- Students at Partner Universities of VU Amsterdam: €500
- Students and PhD candidates at non-partner universities of VU Amsterdam : €950
- Professionals: €1150
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
If you have been accepted to VU Amsterdam Summer School and have paid the tuition fee, but due to unforeseen circumstances need to cancel, the following refunds will be given:
- Cancellation before 1 May: 100% of total fee will be refunded
- Cancellation before 1 June: 50% of total fee will be refunded
- Cancellation after 1 June: no refund will be given
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.