The Language of Gilgamesh - Babylonian for Beginners course at SOAS University of London consists of two halves. In the first week we will explore the invention of writing and the decipherment of cuneiform script. This will include a virtual tour of the cuneiform tablet collections of the British Museum. The basic phonological and grammatical features of Babylonian will also be introduced. In the second week we will begin to read model phrases, followed by selected passages from authentic texts.
Students at Language of Gilgamesh - Babylonian for Beginners course at SOAS University of London will:
- Identify and explicate the main phonological and grammatical features of Babylonian
- Analyse and grammatically parse simple sentences in Babylonian
- Read a passage from the Epic of Gilgamesh in the original cuneiform, and to analyse its grammatical and syntactical structure
- Script, phonology, and grammar of Babylonian
- The invention of writing, and the decipherment of cuneiform in the 19th century
- Cuneiform script and writing system
- Virtual tour of the British Museum collection of cuneiform tablets
- Phonology and principal grammatical features of Babylonian
- Reading simple sentences and texts
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
15 SOAS credits
DisciplinesLanguages Ancient History Linguistics View 36 other Short Courses in Linguistics in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
A university student or graduate at the time of attending the summer school, and 18+ years of age. Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.