What to expect from the program
Students will develop a clear understanding of how curriculum, methodology, teaching materials, and assessment can be designed, selected, and effectively implemented into classrooms with English language learners. Through active engagement with second language acquisition theory, language proficiency benchmarks, and current research, students will develop the knowledge, skills, and practical experience to teach confidently within a variety of English language teaching and learning contexts.
Alberta certified K-12 teachers who complete the program will be better prepared to address the diverse language and cultural needs of their learners. They will hone their skills and further develop competencies included in the new Alberta Education Teaching Quality Standard (TQS) such as:
- TQS 3 – Developing and applying a current and comprehensive repertoire of effective planning, instruction, and assessment practices to meet the learning needs of every student.
- TQS 4 – Providing in-depth knowledge of how to establish, promote, and sustain inclusive learning environments.
Graduates of the Teaching English as an Additional Language Professional certificate from NorQuest College will be able to pursue positions in the field of teaching English as an additional language (TEAL), second language (TESL), or foreign language (TEFL) contexts that include:
- the K-12 school system, including specialist positions (certified K-12 teachers only)
- private language schools
- government-funded community-based programs
- English language teaching institutions
- not-for-profit organizations
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teaching and Learning in EAL Contexts
- Reading and Writing
- Listening and Speaking
- Pedagegical Grammar
- Critical Issues in TEAL
- Phonology and Morphology
- Applied Project
- Field Placement
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Teaching English View 5 other Short Courses in Language Studies in Canada
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- bachelor's degree
- to complete a professional portfolio. Guidelines will be provided to students before the field experience.
- a clear Police Information Check and Intervention Record Check may be needed.
- a Bachelor of Education degree
- a valid interim or permanent Alberta professional certificate (or equivalent certificate for students pursuing placement in context outside of Alberta)
- adherence to the Alberta Teachers’ Association’s Code of Professional Conduct and the Alberta School Act (or adherence to local K-12 policies, procedures, and certification requirements)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19760 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19760 CAD for the full programme during 12 months.
National6605 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6605 CAD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Abbotsford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.