You will develop your reading and listening skills and learn to speak and write in German by studying 3–4 hours in each unit. You'll acquire a knowledge of the basic structures and key vocabulary to meet and greet people, learn to talk about yourself, and increase your awareness of the cultural diversity of German-speaking countries.
After successfully completing this Beginners German 1 course at The Open University UK , you will receive a digital badge. This can be shared on social media, added to email signatures or act as a certificate.
You will learn
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- communicate with speakers of German in a range of predictable and simple contexts relating to everyday life
- know and use the principles of German pronunciation
- understand and use the special German characters (such as the ‘Umlaut') and be able to word-process or hand-write them
- better understand the cultural differences and customs between German-speaking cultures and your own.
The course is designed to help you achieve a level of language proficiency equivalent to level A1 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
As you study over 16 units, you’ll learn to:
- introduce yourself and to give your address
- say your nationality and which languages you speak
- say and understand German numbers
- join basic conversations
- use important German verbs such as ‘to come’, ‘to go’, ‘to buy’ and ‘to speak
- use the plural of nouns
- use pronouns that help you to express to whom something belongs
- ask for and give information about other people
- make use of your new language skills when travelling
- understand and make bookings
- understand messages left by speakers of German and leave messages yourself
- have informal conversations
- know about strategies to memorise and use German vocabulary and grammar
- understand and use the pronunciation of German names and place names.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 4 months
- 3 hrs/week
Start dates & application deadlines
- Start: At anytime before registration end date
- Registration closes 31 December
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 98 other Short Courses in Languages in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- There are no entry requirements for this course. It’s suitable if you are completely new to German and to language-learning, and it does not assume any prior knowledge.
- You will be given guidance on developing your language-learning skills such as different techniques to memorise vocabulary and approach grammatical topics.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International195 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 195 GBP for the full programme during 4 months.
National195 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 195 GBP for the full programme during 4 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.