What you will study in the Biological science - From Genes to Species course at The Open University UK
Biology encompasses all aspects of the study of living things from their ecology and behaviour, physiology and anatomy, through to their cell biology and molecular composition.
You will learn about biological processes operating at different levels - molecular, cellular, organismal and species – and explore key concepts and research methodologies in these areas. The module is presented as a series of eight topics, alongside which is a closely related Research Skills strand.
- Topic 1: Species and Speciation
- Topic 2: Evolutionary Mechanisms
- Topic 3: Origin of Variation
- Topic 4: Genomes and genome evolution
- Topic 5: Gene expression and its control
- Topic 6: Controlling cell behaviour
- Topic 7: Life and Death of the Cell
- Topic 8: Development, morphogenesis and ageing
Programme StructureThroughout your module studies, you’ll get help and support from your assigned module tutor. They’ll help you by:
- Marking your assignments (TMAs) and providing detailed feedback for you to improve.
- Guiding you to additional learning resources.
- Providing individual guidance, whether that’s for general study skills or specific module content.
- Facilitating online discussions between your fellow students, in the dedicated module and tutor group forums.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences View 29 other Short Courses in Biology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
This is an OU level 3 module and you need to have a good knowledge of biology, obtained through level 1 and 2 study with the OU, or with another higher education institution. Students who are appropriately prepared have the best chance of completing their studies successfully and get most enjoyment and satisfaction out of the module.
International3168 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3168 GBP for the full programme
National3168 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3168 GBP for the full programme
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.