The Rundblick - beginners' German module from The Open University UK explores life in German-speaking countries and communities worldwide through topics relevant to adult learners – such as impressions of Germany, Austria and Switzerland: travelling, lifestyles, cultural events, and technology.
Study resources include printed materials and a dedicated website with a variety of online activities – which support independent learning. Together, they’ll give you not just language skills but a real feel for German-speaking countries and communities too.
What you will study
The study materials are carefully structured and graded, and provide ample opportunities to practise the language in realistic contexts, with an emphasis on listening and speaking skills. By the end of the module you will be able to speak and understand simple language and will have developed an understanding of key aspects of life in German-speaking countries.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The module is based around three books and has at its core the following elements:
- user-friendly, ‘bite-sized’ information dealing with language and cultural aspects
- gradual development of study and language skills
- development of basic vocabulary and set phrases
- audio material, featuring recordings by competent speakers of German and a wide variety of speaking activities
- practice activities and self-assessment tests to monitor your progress
- regular online video clips to support your practice activities.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 77 other Short Courses in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This is a key introductory OU level 1 module. OU level 1 modules provide core subject knowledge and study skills needed for both higher education and distance learning.
- No prior knowledge of German is required to study this module. To help decide if this is the module for you, use our self-assessment quiz.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1584 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1584 GBP for the full programme
National1584 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1584 GBP for the full programme
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.