- Social entrepreneurs are gaining international attention motivated by the desire for change and to see the world as it can be, not as it is. Students in the course will learn how social entrepreneurs have developed creative solutions to address social problems.
- Students in this Social Entrepreneurship course at University of Oxford will gain knowledge about social entrepreneurs and how they are creating solutions to address societal problems, learn how to develop creative solutions to address social problems, and empower you to see social entrepreneurship as a force for social change. The course is designed for you if you want to gain valuable tools to prepare you to make an impact on the lives of others.
This social entrepreneurship course is designed to introduce the concept as well as engage students and the tutor in a joint learning experience of this emerging field. Through the course, students will:
- Be exposed to the concept of social entrepreneurship and social enterprises and how social entrepreneurs are transforming society to deliver social impact in their home communities and abroad.
- Understand the role of measuring impact and how to quantify the social impact for investors, donors, and beneficiaries to help ensure that scarce resources are utilized appropriately.
- Be aware of how they might apply social entrepreneurship skills in their future pursuits to address social problems.
By the end of this course students will be expected to:
- Understand the complexity of social change and the concept of social entrepreneurship.
- Appreciate the role of measurement to quantify social impact and how social entrepreneurs mobilize scarce resources to affect social change.
By the end of this course students will be expected to have gained the following:
- Knowledge and understanding of the meaning of social entrepreneurship, how its principles have been applied to address social problems, and what challenges are faced by those wishing to adopt social entrepreneurship methods.
- Gain knowledge and understanding about social entrepreneurship, challenges faced by social entrepreneurs and learn the role of developing a sustainable business model that addresses a social problem.
- Learn how social entrepreneurs have applied social entrepreneurship principles to address social problems, gain the ability t o empower disadvantaged community members to create social change and develop your own skills to “be the change you wish to see in the world'. Gandhi.
FHEQ level 4, 10 CATS points
The areas you will cover in this course are:
- Introduction to social entrepreneurship: The journey ahead
- Creating social change: The social value proposition and identifying a social business opportunity
- Understanding poverty: The Millennium Development Goals
- Human-Centered Design: Partnering with the targeted community to address social problems
- Developing a theory of change: Starting with the social impact
- Envisioning an innovative society: The role of social innovation
- The business model: Creating a social business model
- Funding social ventures: Strategies for success
- The driving force behind social entrepreneurship: Measurement and scaling social impact
- The future: Reflection and shared experiences
- 3 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEconomics Sociology Entrepreneurship View 26 other Short Courses in Entrepreneurship in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- You will be set two pieces of work for the course. The first of 500 words is due halfway through your course.
- This does not count towards your final outcome but preparing for it, and the feedback you are given, will help you prepare for your assessed piece of work of 1,500 words due at the end of the course. The assessed work is marked pass or fail.
This course is delivered online; to participate you must to be familiar with using a computer for purposes such as sending email and searching the Internet.
International300 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 300 GBP for the full programme during 3 months.
EU/EEA300 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 300 GBP for the full programme during 3 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.