We are looking forward to welcoming you to VU Amsterdam Summer School! Previous students exclaimed finding our summer school absolutely wonderful, interesting and fun yet also tremendously helpful for their professional and academic careers.
We understand the situation is very uncertain and we therefore offer free cancellation and a full refund until 1 May. Are you ready to unlock your potential?
More than half the world's population now live in cities. In just a few decades from now, the population of urban areas will exceed the entire global population today.
Ongoing urbanization presents opportunities and challenges that are of great interest to policy-makers and researchers.
From humble beginnings as a bridge over the river Amstel, Amsterdam rose to prominence during the 17th century as a center of international trade. Today, Amsterdam is part of a large and prosperous metropolitan region at the heart of Europe, providing a unique base from which students can learn about cities.
Learning objectives of The Economics of Urbanization course from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- To obtain a solid understanding of the economic mechanisms that drive urbanization, as well as those that determine why some cities are successful and why some are not.
- To obtain a clear understanding of policy challenges that metropolitan areas face, and the pros and cons of the instruments that can be used to tackle these challenges.
- To develop experience in conducting and presenting applied research, including valuation methodologies used in benefit-cost analysis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Along the way, you will be equipped with knowledge and skills that help answer questions such as:
- Why are firms and people moving to cities?
- How do we measure the performance of urban areas?
- What factors explain why some cities thrive, while others struggle?
- What can policy-makers do to improve the economic, social, and environmental performance of their cities?
To understand these topics, students will participate in lectures, self-directed work, and several field visits.
The course is meant for advanced bachelor or master students but if you are a beginner bachelor's student with the right motivation you are also welcome to join, please send us an email so we can check your eligibility in that case. If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please let us know.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 14 days
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Area & Cultural Studies European Studies View 43 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé
- Transcript of records (a print screen of your most recent grades is sufficient and needs to include your name and the name of your University)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International850 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 850 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 14 days.
EU/EEA850 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 850 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 14 days.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.